A financial company focused strategically on innovation, quality, customer closeness, excellency and efficiency by offering highly specialized products on the insurance chilean market. This company is recognized for being oriented towards people and Pymes with a diverse portfolio of life, automotive and general insurance products.
The business challenge
Having limitations on compute and storage for data processing on-premises limit the business capacity on insights generation and decision making. By using cloud technologies, our customer was able to use corporate data in a safe, reliable, efficient recovery, managed strategy, which in turn is vital for the consolidation of a data strategy in the company.
As a summary, customer drivers for the implementation of this project were:
- ETL automation. Data extraction from transactional databases is a manual and time-consuming job, limited by the use of on-premises resources.
- Data warehousing. Reports and analysis were using OLTP databases and thus increasing business risks and user limitations. Creating a data warehouse analytical model (OLAP) enables compute capabilities and users to obtain online data from different perspectives.
- Operational efficiency. Reduce the operation and IT support expenses, relying on manual administration processes, such as database backups, copies, restauration, storage management, etc.
- Data strategy aligned. Support a data architecture for the business in cloud, using best practices and pattern for data ingestion, transformation and visualization within AWS Cloud.
The results of the implementation of this project have enabled important benefits for the company, which it is worth mentioning:
- Data replication on-line in AWS S3, enabling data lake creation for the company, moreover, using parquet format improves efficiency and reduces size needs.
- On-line data replication in AWS S3, in turn has allowed the data source to be reused for the creation of temporary test databases (using AWS RDS), data backup and create more complex queries for business insights.
- Synchronization from Oracle on-premises database to Redshift in real time, giving the opportunity to users to query online.
- Having a subset of RAW data also in Redshift has allowed users to decouple from OLTP data sources and stop competing for resources in transactional bases, obtaining results in less time even with aggregate information.
- Metrics for data replication are now a common language for business and IT operations teams.
- Alarm creation and online monitoring have allowed users to change reactive to proactive operations models
- Athena enables querying and browsing quick results, practically with no infrastructure.